Director of Engineering, Bandwagon, Brooklyn, NY — 5/2016 -
Lead engineer for maturing transportation startup.
- Ruby on Rails
- Apache Cordoba
- Amazon EC2
Technical project leadership for 10+ subscription-only financial industry publications.
- Web Development
- Architected cross-publication Single Sign On using OAuth2.
- Development of front-end website using PHP, Zend 1.12, MySQL and Doctrine.
- Migrated PEAR-based packaging system to Composer
- Redesigned cache architecture to support A/B experiments.
- Spearheaded web security analysis, developed Cross Site Scripting (XSS) and Cross Site Request Forgery protection for existing web sites.
- Developed lightweight PDF-rendering microservice in Coffeescript and Node.
- Mobile Development
- Rearchitected multiple iOS applications in Swift.
- Led launch of 6 iOS tablet/phone applications for financial publications.
- Launched rich media advertising (mRAID) using Google Publisher ads and native DoubleClick modules inside mobile applications.
- DevOps / Release Engineering
- Responsible for release management, including packaging and coordination with operations staff.
- Conversion of infrastructure to HTTPS; including Elastic Load Balancers, mobile applications, web service endpoints, and advertising creatives.
- Supported continuous integration environment using Jenkins CI server.
- Team Leadership
- Supported test-driven development practice within team; designed unit/integration test specifications for developers.
- Mentored and managed developers on full-stack development.
- Led code reviews and developer educaiton.
- Project Leadership
- Worked closely with business analysts, QA, sales, advertising and editorial teams to best allocate technical resources for project cycles.
- Implemented A/B testing including cross-publication experimentation.
- Data integration with exta-organizational sites with Atom XML and CSV data feeds.
- Integrated Google DoubleClick for Publishers across several publications including within mobile websites and apps.
- Launched new publication allowing free subscription with registration while leveraging existing codebase (FinancialAdvisorIQ.com).
Relaunched high-traffic celebrity news website.
- Built, utilized, & maintained test infrastructure using Jenkins continuous integration server and PHPUnit test framework.
- Provisioned tiered architecture using Varnish cache server w/ Edge Side Includes, MySQL, Memcache, APC PHP Cache.
- Release engineering including patch / branch maintence in Git, Capistrano deployment automation and scripting.
- Architected high-performance web architecture utilizing Amazon AWS cloud services including MySQL/RDS, Memcache/Elasticache, Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), & S3.
- Coordinated migration of Linux/MySQL assets from Rackspace / Rackspace Cloud to Amazon AWS EC3 / RDS.
- Automated systems administration & operations using Chef Ruby systems integration framework on Ubuntu Linux. Maintained and supported public key infrastructure.
- Developed automated system for building VirtualBox and updating virtual machine images. Supported worldwide freelance developers and rapid onboarding of engineering resources.
- Wrote specs for engineering positions; intimately involved in all technical hiring. Mentoring/support of junior & frontend developers and remote freelancers.
- Integrated CMS with Akamai & Brightcove Content Distribution Networks (CDN). Asset migration from Windows Server 2003 environment.
- Evaluation / documentation / integration of former employees’ projects. Interfaced with contractor-developed iPad application via JSON.
Development of hardware security network appliance.
- Designed and extended clustering to integrate in-house high availability functionality with recently acquired network password vault product replication (JBoss).
- Spearheaded web app security evaluation and hardening, CSRF protection design, PHP vulnerability assessment.
- Prototype of Enterprise management console in Symfony2 PHP framework, jQuery, Ontology Web Language (OWL RDF/XML) backing store. Web-based ontology explorer.
- Remote debugging of customer installations worldwide. Network protocol analysis using Wireshark.
- Implementation of NIST FIPS 140-2 certified authenticated Network Time Protocol in product.
Freelance Developer, Brooklyn, NY — 9/2009 – 4/2011
Front-end, infrastructure & platform development for social media startup. banters.com, etc. 1/2011 – 4/2011
- Architected move to Amazon EC2 compute cloud / S3 content distribution network from generic Linux VPS.
- Rasterization of content to Tumblr via PhantomJS on EC2
- Installation/Maintenance of WordPress blogs as CMS.
Front-end & infrastructure development for secondary ticketing market aggregator.
- Developed PHP Symfony website during period of rapid business development and user growth. Created web crawlers to scrap sports statistics from partner web sites across all major sports.
- Reverse engineered Flex & Ajax APIs on third party web sites for aggregation of market transactions.
- Predictive modeling / analytics of major league sports utilizing transaction data and sports statistics.
- Implemented and optimized geotargetting across main web site, partner widgets and email.
- Managed interactions with freelancers including designers and coders. Evaluation and development of freelancer-coded Ruby / Watir / Firefox scraping system.
Research & development of innovative web & BitTorrent apps utilizing and enhancing peer-to-peer technology. github.com/WIZARDISHUNGRY/sflimetracker
- Developed LimeTracker open-source BitTorrent tracker / podcasting system in Symfony PHP framework. Tracker uses P2P to accelerate podcasts, reducing distribution costs.
- Managed open source contributions and issue reporting via Git source control and JIRA bug tracker.
- Developed software targeting commodity web hosts for “unzip and run installs”, in the vein of WordPress.
- Worked to solve standardization problems in RSS and Atom-based podcasts.
- Conceived SEO-directed internationalization and localization strategy for LimeWire website with aim of increasing purchase rates in overseas markets.
- Maintained MediaWiki and PhpBB installations for Limewire.org community with ~90,000 accounts.
- Evaluated replacement of LimeWire’s Java servlet for crash report handling in response to load issues during new release cycles.
Application/content team attached to dean of development; develops web apps and addresses marketing and academic technology.
- Single handedly planned and developed unified content management system; gracefully migrating content from a cornucopia of older ad-hoc content management systems (Cold Fusion, Perl, PHP 4) to single unified CMS encompassing nearly a dozen distinct content types and their associated backend interface. System utilizes Symfony PHP framework to aid in rapid development and code reuse.
- Member of core marketing/branding team that oversaw year-long renaming process of school and a comprehensive visual identity overhaul for both web and print. Worked to accommodate visual identities of departments within overall school, and university brands.
- Created AJAX faculty bio editor that allowed inline layout and polling from sources ranging from RSS feeds to CMS news, accommodating the diverse requirements of 243+ full-time faculty members and allowing the reuse of web content in new contexts.
- Ported open source Kerberos V bindings for PHP version 4 to 5 for authentication against central NYU systems.
- Participated in development of Symfony PHP web framework, contributing numerous bug reports and a number of patches; of note are patches for correct operation in FastCGI environment.
- Worked closely with university IT Unix administrators to oversee server issues including MySQL optimization, Apache configuration and troubleshooting, and hardware lifecycle planning.
- Implementation of version control (Subversion) and project management / bug tracking / wiki software (Trac) for web development team.
- Aggregated university calendar feeds with Steinhardt utilizing iCalendar (.ics).
- Devised custom student blog portal; integrated with university Moveable Type Enterprise install via RSS/Atom feeds; helped plan and implement all aspects of promotional student blog campaign.
- Served as technical liaison to Dean’s Office, IT strategy, software and hardware purchasing.
Web Developer, University of Rochester Web Group, Rochester, NY — 9/2003 - 5/2005
Supports departmental web developers and provides development services within the University.
- Primary developer for the University-wide web development “deploy” system. System includes security and auditing capabilities. Took over design and programming; completed security audit, addressed critical scalability issues, and implemented major functionality and usability improvements for the 2.0 release.
- Developed custom web applications (utilizing Apache, Php, MySQL, Solaris) for dozens of university departments, including a uniform graduate application system used across academic departments.
- Provided consultation to management on issues related to the shared web server devlopment.
Application Developer, MontegoNet LLC., Portsmouth, RI — 5/2002 - 1/2003, 5/2003 - 8/2003, 5/2004 - 8/2004
Provides e-business consulting for kiosk and web-based applications.
- Developed Internet kiosk architecture, including log processor, utilizing ASP/C#, SQL, and web services.
- Integrated hardware sensors with kiosks using C++ and Windows serial device API.
- Design and implement backend for kiosk electronic banking application w/ automated wire transfers.
- Administered mail servers (Qmail/Red Hat Linux) and firewalls (OpenBSD, Cisco PIX).
Systems Administrator / Programmer, George Patton Associates, LLC., Bristol, RI — 2/2003 - 4/2003
Manufactures custom signage for small businesses; orders primarily placed online.
- Maintained legacy UNIX ordering/production/inventory/shipping system (60,000+ lines of C, Perl and shell scripts) on modern Red Hat Linux system.
- Integrated shipping system with UPS package tracking.
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY — Computer Science (B.S.), systems concentration, 2005.
- Parallel & Distributed Systems: (concurrency, Pthreads, MPI, etc.),
- Introduction to Cryptology (P2P, cipher design, public key, etc.)
- Programming Language Design & Implementation (final project: C compiler for JVM using Apache BCEL